Monday, January 26, 2015

All you ever wanted to know about a lan house

Hey Mom!

I am sitting on a tiny swivel chair with my man-purse in my lap, staring at a computer screen between two tiny cubicle walls. On the other side of the left wall, my companion is doing the same thing. The room that I´m in is rectangular & the walls are painted red and white. The computer I´m using is one of seven, lined up against one of these walls. There´s a mirror behind each monitor. On the far end of the room there´s a big cubicle housing the woman who runs the lan house.

A lan house in Brazil
A lan house is just a place with a bunch of computers which you pay to use. There are two in Xanxerê. The one I´m using right now is the worse of the two (the other one has better computers and is cheaper) but this one opens in the morning and it´s much closer to our apartment.

I´m pretty jealous of Catriel getting to go to a zoo! There´s nothing much interesting to see or do here.

[I told him a story about the primary class I teach at church.]  I had to teach a primary class while I lived in Chapecó. The kids just laughed at my accent and asked what was wrong with me.

(Dan Gordon SuperKatt comic)
The new carpet looks great in the pictures you sent, Dad. I remember how devastated I was when you re-carpeted in Hemet. [He was six years old at the time.]  A change of carpet is not as life-shattering for me now!

Yeah, sorry about the state I left my room in. I´m sure the closet will be a terror to deal with. One thing the mission has given me is an inability to tolerate a messy desk; my organizational skills have improved dramatically. So my room won't decay like that again when I come back.  I´ve also gained the ability to wake up in the morning and not be lethargic. I´ve discovered that my mold allergy was mainly to blame for that.


You won´t be true empty nesters until Catriel and I both get married; we´ll be home between college semesters!

I remember Lynn & Dave and their "Chouse." Glad to hear they´re doing well.

Apparently the mission president doesn´t bring packages with him when he does interviews, so I´ll probably get it at this next zone conference.

Don´t have much by way of stories. We had another big rainstorm yesterday. We´ve got two investigators who have set a baptismal date but neither of them showed up to church yesterday.  Still trying to help less active families. (Lots of people have problems with alcohol here.)

There´s stuff to do here and we´re seeing some progress, finally. I´ve been in Xanxerê for four whole months now and I´ll stay here till at least the beginning of March; doesn´t seem real!

Love you Mom! I miss you a lot! Thanks for writing me each week! Love hearing from you! 

Talk to you next week!

Um braço e um beijo!    (A hug and a kiss!) 

Elder Duffin