Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Celebrating Festa Junina, Exceptionally Durable Socks & a Father's Day Message

Hey Mom,
Sounds like you had a full week! This week went by very fast for me. We found 12 new people to teach. A few of them I feel actually have promise to accept the gospel; we´ll see! On Monday we taught a pastor; but all he wanted to do was argue over scripture, so it wasn´t very productive. I never argue scripture--it only makes people angry. I was reflecting on this this week, that I´ve not really had to deal with a whole lot of people who like to argue this way on my mission. Even when I was in Texas (go figure). Lucky me! 

Next Saturday is a Brazilian holiday called Festa Junina. I have asked everyone what it is and nobody really knows.  Everyone gives me different answers, from ``It´s called Junina because it´s in June´´ to ``something about a saint´´ to ``some folklore about a woman who didn´t want to marry some dude´´ to ``It´s just a party for no reason.´´ The only thing that is certainly known about this holiday is that people celebrate by eating a lot and dressing up like American hillbillies (plaid shirts, overalls, straw hats, painted on 5 o-clock shadows and mustaches and freckles. Women dress up like Pippi Longstocking). This is a very strange holiday--haha.



[Festa Junina celebrates St John the Baptist.  You can read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festa_Junina ]

Other than that, not much news. We had a couple of cold days last week! About 66 degrees fahrenheit. It´s sad that I consider that chilly now.  One year of continuous summer will do that to you.

[I had some correspondence with him regarding his return flight in August] To check my bags I think is 100 bucks,(maybe each) but I´m hoping I won't have to check either of my suitcases. We´ll see how it works out. I´m thinking I will leave a lot of my shirts and socks behind. I can´t believe my socks have lasted two years! Those are good socks; but they´re definitely old now, ha ha.


I did not go to Floripa last week so I don´t know if any packages came in yet. 

Dad´s conversation with Sean was funny. I always got excited when I was watching the science channel and Sean would pop up on some program. [We have friends who are famous in scientific circles.  He's referring to theoretical physicist Sean Carroll.] 

Dad, I hope you had a good Father's Day even though Catriel, Jon and I all happen to be away. 



I love you, Dad. You´re the best dad in the world and I aspire to be like you in every way. I know that in following your example of being a husband and a father I will pass with flying colors in that area!

Flying Colors

I´m really grateful for everything you and Mom have taught me and the blessings you´ve given me; you are the authors of my happiness in life, and I owe you everything. Thanks for being my friend and making my life wonderful. Thanks for staying active in the church; that has ensured that the heaven on earth I have with you will continue after this life, and that means everything to me. The mission has given me a greater comprehension of just how great a dad you are; you really take the cake! Thanks for all the help you´ve given me on the mission.
Hope you get some cake today!

Love you guys! Hope you have a great week! I´ll talk to you next.
Elder Duffin