Monday, June 16, 2014

Tales of Sweaty Biking and a Father's Day Message

Hey Mom!

I'm doing great. It's very hot and humid here, though I'm sure Jon has it worse! [Ben-Daniel's brother is in the Air Force, deployed "at an undisclosed location" in the Middle East.]

I was laughing to myself all week about how before my mission I had prayed that God wouldn't send me anywhere cold; now look at where I am! Ha ha.  I've been biking in the 90 degree heat every day for the past two weeks :P  I've literally been soaked with sweat at the end of each day.  
 
 
 
 
I've also acquired a wicked farmer's tan. I forgot how brown my skin can get.

Things have been going well here. We're doing good work. We've been blessed with two new investigators who are progressing well. One of them we met yesterday; this guy who is a ballroom dance instructor just decided to come to church that morning and sought us out! We're teaching him tomorrow.

My companion and I are having a lot of fun together.  I did meet the sister missionary from Hemet [Sister Greaves] during transfer meeting; we talked for a bit. She's friends with Sarah Duffin. The Church makes the world smaller!

I got your package today and the new suitcase! :) Thank you so much! The dill pickle chips were thoughtful. I had no idea they made those.
 
 
Sounds like you all enjoyed a good Father's Day. I've inherited Dad's fondness for ties; I left on the mission with 6 ties and now I have like 20.
 
I sent Dad a Father's Day card in the mail two days ago, so it's gonna be a bit late; sorry. Hope you all get a good laugh out of it!  Sounds like you had a good Father's Day back home. Sorry I couldn't be there to celebrate with you. But I am doing good work down here in Texas. I have seen how the Lord needed me here and I'm happy to be serving here; I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I should in order to be worthy to go when He needs me in Brasil.

During my language study, I've been reading my Portuguese copy of the Book of Mormon. I am able to read every word and understand it. I've gained a better testimony of the gifts of the spirit.

Dad, I wrote you a note in the card I sent you for Father's Day, but I'll write another to you here.

Thanks for being the world's greatest father, Dad! I really mean that---of all the people I know, I know of none other who has been a better father than you have been to me. I owe everything I have and everything I am to you and Mom. Thank you for teaching me in all aspects of life. 

I'm grateful for the example you've set for me of being a good husband; there aren't enough of those in the world, but you've ensured that I will be one someday. Thanks for bringing Zion into our home.

And thanks for being my friend! I'm glad that we have a good relationship with one another and have fun together. I'm looking forward to hanging out with you again when I get home.


This goes the same for Grandad and Grandpa. Tell them I say Happy Father's Day and that I send them my love and gratitude! 

I love you, Dad; thanks for all you do for me and for being the person you have chosen to be! I'm eternally grateful.

Not much else to say; things are going good!  Glad to hear all is well back home.

I love you too, Mom! Thanks for writing me.

Talk to you next week!

Elder Duffin