Monday, August 4, 2014

Time Doesn't Fly, It Rides a Cheetah!



Hey Mom,

I'm doing good! It's pretty miserable hot here, but I survive. 

Not much has happened that's out of the ordinary, just been biking around and teaching! We taught a family from Iraq this week. They're Christian (Coptic, I think) and the parents pretty much only speak Arabic, so their 12 year old son did a lot of translating. We got pamphlets in Arabic for them today, so hopefully they'll understand what we're teaching better the next time we see them.

I'm super jealous of your trip to Grandma and Grandpa's in Oregon! (Having a bit of a trunky moment here.)  [Jim tells me that feeling "trunky" is mission slang for homesick.] I miss Grandma and Grandpa a lot. Grandad and Erma too. I'm glad you all had fun. :)  

My companion is jealous also, because of the plays you saw in Ashland.  He's a huge theater buff and Into the Woods is one of his favorite musicals. He says he's really excited for you--ha ha. I've gotten him hooked on Tillamook cheese, too. [This is not as random as it sounds.  Catriel wrote him about our recent tour of the Tillamook Cheese Factory in Oregon.]

I'm really sorry to hear about Libby's daughter. That's sad. :(  Send my condolences. Glad you were safe on your trip to and from the funeral.

This week went by fast for me. My mind is still trying to comprehend the fact that in 10 days I'll have been out in the mission field for a year! Doesn't seem like that long ago that I was in the MTC. Time doesn't fly, it rides a cheetah running full speed on the top of a speed-train inside a spaceship moving at Warp 10--GAAAAH! 

I'm having a good time though. My companion goes home at the end of this transfer and I've been helping him to ward off trunkiness. He's doing a good job at staying focused.

I'm eating dinner at a ward pool party tonight. We invited a lot of non-members and we're hoping to see a big turnout there.

Our recent convert, Patrick, found five names of his ancestors to take to the temple. We're going to go with him soon. I found a few of mine and Dad's ancestors I can do baptisms for, so I'm excited to go and do that!

Not much else to say! I'll send you some pictures now.

Love you Mom! Thanks for writing me! You're in my prayers always! :)

Talk to you next week,

Elder Duffin 



 
The little kid is named Anthony. Elder Carter baptized him and I confirmed him on Saturday. The woman in the striped dress is his mom.



This was some Tuna Mush that we ate one day for dinner. It looked nasty but it was actually really good!